Head of Engineering
Who are we?
Hi, we’re Chewse! Hundreds of offices work with us to run their employee meal programs. We see food as a powerful medium to share our love and community with fellow businesses everywhere.
We’re a unique little team — company happy hour every Thursday, gratitude circle every Friday, and team lunches together all the freaking time — working hard together to build a love company.
We’re based in San Francisco’s beautiful SoMa neighborhood, and we’re over 50 people.
What’s the job, really?
The Head of Engineering (HOE) manages the software engineer teams (onshore and offshore), reporting directly to the COO. The HOE collaborates with cross-functional teammates: Product, Sales, Marketing, Operations and Finance to launch new features that exceed the expectations of our clients.
This leader has a strong vision for the department and can build a kick-ass engineering team (onshore and offshore). S/he embraces tough challenges head-on while balancing quality software with speed. S/he is responsible for on time feature deployment, maintaining low tech debt and helping us build the “Spotify for food” as we expand into new cities. And that’s just the beginning!
- Provides technical guidance and direction, as well as hands-on resource and project management for all development activities
- Manages engineers (onshore and offshore) in order to drive development to meet product requirements
- Ensures the implementation of agile processes that support site/software development processes
- Leads recruiting for the engineering department in order to build a strong, productive team
- Mentors engineers, assisting in their duties upon request, and constantly promoting their professional growth
Collaboration and Support:
The role of the Head of Engineering is a highly collaborative one, working with all departments within Chewse. The HOE works closely with the VP of Product to create a blended roadmap integrating new features and technical infrastructure projects. Collectively this team will help Chewse expand nationally and eventually go beyond the plate to help build strong corporate cultures for our clients.
Who are you?
- a degree in Computer Science or any other relevant field
- an equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable for this position
Experience Building a Hybrid Engineering Team:
- must have experience building and managing a distributed team (a mix of offshore developers and local developers)
- sourcing, recruiting and building the offshore team to augment the current local developers will be a high priority for this role
- must be technologically adept and demonstrate outstanding computer skills
- s/he possesses an innate understanding of data modeling for scalability and performance as well as a strong front-end and back-end frameworks
- native mobile app development experience is a plus (iOS and Android)
- 7 – 10 years of overall work experience with at least 4 years of experience as an Engineering Manager (managing 5 to 10 engineers)
- the ability to motivate/coach engineers to ensure successful completion of projects on time
- clarity in communications with cross-functional teams
- report on status of current & future sprints, quality, and system performance to senior leadership.
- a keen eye for detail, a constant and insatiable thirst for knowledge, and an ability to remain calm and composed in times of uncertainty and stress, inspiring the same in their peers and direct reports
- demonstrate outstanding leadership skills, having an ability to move a cross-functional group in a unified direction and with a common vision
Why should you care?
- Stock Options: We want you to be a key part of the amazing things we’re building
- Flexible Time Off: We believe that a balance between work and life is essential to happiness and success, so work hard and take the time you need
- Health Coverage: We offer competitive coverage plans for medical, dental and vision, because you’re worth it
- Company Meal Program: Food is our love language, so we guarantee catered lunch 3x/week, gather for a weekly company happy hour, and stock the office with healthy snacks!
- Career Development: We help fund our employees to attend workshops, conferences, or night classes that will help them go the extra mile
- Team Love: Chewse teams have quarterly bonding budgets, strengthening your weekday tribe to get the job done
- Compensation Range: $176K – $238K; 0.35% – 0.60%
I’m in! How do I apply?
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “I <3 Head of Engineering”.